Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Gonna talk about passion today.
The word passion has many meanings but the one that I'm talking about is boundless enthusiasm.
It makes me recall all the things I was once passionate about. Taekwondo, photography and anything to do with the human mind.
I remember how when I was still in secondary school, I had always wanted to pursue psychology. Right now I'm thinking that maybe that might not have been the best choice but the point is, at that moment I was really interested in taking up a course on psychology. Sadly however my O lvl score did not allow me to do so, so I started to question myself, was I really passionate about it or was it just a passing interest. If I were truly passionate about it, wouldn't I have worked harder to get into psychology.
I completely forgot about this until an old family friend visited us recently and he asked me what I was doing now. He said that he remembered that I wanted to do psychology and was quite shocked and seemed rather interested as to why I did not pursue psychology. Didn't really know how to explain to him not because I was shy or anything but I too myself did not know what happened along the way.
Secondly, another passion I had way back when was Photography. Took it up since sec 1 and followed it through sec 5, even though they merged it to form infocomm club. I was much more interested in the photography aspect of it so much that I decided to splurge $500+ of my own savings on a semi-pro back then. When my teacher asked if I was planning to continue photography, I told her that I'd probably lose interest soon and she refused to believe me. Her reason was " Are you sure? I've seen your face behind the camera and you always seem to be smiling, are you sure you can stop? " This words came into my head and I thought maybe there's something that she saw in me that I didn't? But sad to say, I've given up this passion of mine
And yet now a few days down the road, my semi pro remains there unused and heavily under utilized. So what exactly happened? Well I thought that if I were to continue photography anymore seriously, I would need the necessary finances to support this hobby of mine. So eventually as time went by, I gave it up and till this day my semi pro stands on my dash collecting dust.
Last but definitely not the least Taekwondo. Anyone who has ever known me would know that I have dedicated a huge portion of my life to tkd. I will talk about the key points of my tkd experience thus far. First I'll talk about the beginning, of how my mother had signed me up against my will in P3. I was rather scared actually because my coach seemed fierce however he was really patient with me throughout my journey and I thank him for that. Another key point was when I first decided to start participating in tournaments.
My coach asked me if I wanted to participate in them and for months he kept on asking me and each time he asked me, I constantly replied that I wasn't ready. Then came one fine day that I gave him the same answer and he frustratingly replied " Then when will you be ready?!" And those 6 words hit a button for me.
Eventually I ended up participating in my first tournament towards the end of Sec 2 in maris stella's tournament. It was a really unique experience for me having to fight with my friend Anthony whom I've trained with for the past few years. It was something new for me, I've never been able to beat you though.haha. I lost 7-2 in my first ever fight.
Then came my first ever medal in megaforce intraclub tournament, winning the gold medal felt like a dream to be honest, I was really happy and finally after my disappointing loss back in MS, felt like I was finally starting to see the fruits of my labour after which I proceeded to win various medals but the gold always seem to elude me.
So I shall talk about the 2 highlights of my tkd 'career' thus far. The first 1 being the 34th nationl pesta sukan national championships where I managed to head to the finals, coming in as the youngest particiapant, where I was just over 15 years old while everyone was about to turn 18, a sec 3 competing against ITE and JC competitors where everyone being bigger and taller than me. Though I managed to clinch a silver, I'll never forget how I could have won the gold were it not for my hastiness in the final round which caused me to lose 5-1.
Then we have the first ever national interschool competition. I was quite surprised that I managed to make it this far in the tournament. Reached managed to reach the semis before finally losing out, yet I managed to get a bronze medal so I didn't have to go back to school empty handed.haha. I remember training for months for the nationals back in sec 3 yet I only trained 2 weeks for this tournament.
Well now comes to the sad part, Sadly for the past 1.5 years, I've stopped training. Mainly because the people that I had worked hard with over the years started to leave 1 by 1 and it came to a point where I no longer found training's enjoyable. Eventually I slowly faded away from training's.
So here I am now wondering what have I been doing, what am I really passionate about... I always wanted to be a chef though, watching jamie oliver, martin yan. I'm always intrigued as to how the same dish can be interpreted differently by many chefs. It truly is my dream one day to meet Jamie oliver and he's opening a rest in vivo so maybe I might get a chance to see him? :D haha. Well the reason why I didn't take culinary because I felt that If I wanted to learn how to cook, I could always pick it up anytime you know?
Well here I am now, still thinking of what it is I really want to do with my life. I've just got to do more soul searching to do I guess.